Sunday, August 31, 2014

Super Glue and a Pickle Jar Too



It's time for another fun tutorial. This is a super easy, super cute, super fun craft. (Are you getting that I think it's SUPER?) You can find this idea all over Pinterest. In fact, that's what prompted me to do this. I had done a variation of this project a long time back. Then I ran across this on Pinterest, and I had to give it a go, but with my own flare.

Are you wondering what it is yet, or have you already scrolled through the pictures to cheat? If you haven't peeked, I'll tell you. It's a pedestal candy jar, and yes I used super glue and a pickle jar too.

Here are the items I used:

~ black spray paint
~ 2 washers (different sizes)
~ pickle jar with lid
~ a finial
~ super glue
~ "Glass Metal and More" by Beacon
   (Michael's calls it Mosaic Glue)
~ metal candle holder
   (any candle holder with some weight to it will do)

The first thing you want to do is make sure the jar is spiffy clean. Wash the lid for the jar well if it held something stinky like pickles or salsa. I ran mine through the dishwasher many times, then I filled it with baking soda and let it sit on a shelf for about a week. If it's still smelly, replace the baking soda and leave it for a few more days. In the mean time you can get started on the steps below.




Spray paint the candle holder. I used a spray paint with a built-in primer, let it dry then turned it over and around for several more passes. Make sure to get it from all angles.




Next I super glued the washers to the lid. You can measure to find the center, but I just eye-balled it. I added the washers to add more dimension to the lid.



Then I added a great finial. A friend gave me a box of assorted finials, and I've found one use for them! You can find finials at a home improvement stores. Another idea is to use a cute knob drawer pull (Hobby Lobby has several options). See how the washers help give the finial a little extra umph.



Let the super glue dry for about an hour and spray paint. Be sure to turn it over and get the bottom lip of the lid, and don't forget to cover up the inside of the lid to keep it paint free!



Now for the fun part. I centered the jar onto the candle holder and glued it with Beacon's Glass Metal and More. Let the adhesive set-up and "cure" for several days before you use the dish. I left it for a week.


The last thing to do is to fill it with yummy, delicious goodness and enjoy!

It seems fitting to put chocolate, especially dark chocolate, on a pedestal. This particular jar went to my sweet friend Andrea. It fulfilled my end of the bargain to exchange homemade gifts this year. Now it's her turn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment